Thursday 19 May 2011

Saying Goodbye to Cambridge Again


Very quietly I take my leave
As quietly as I came here;
Quietly I wave goodbye 

To the rosy clouds in the western sky.
The golden willows by the riverside 

Are young brides in the setting sun;
Their reflections on the shimmering ripples
Linger on in the depths of my heart. 


The floating heart growing in the silt
Sways leisurely under the water;
In the gentle waves of Cambridge
I would be a water reed!

That pool under the shade of elm trees
Holds not water but a rainbow from the sky;
Shattered to pieces among the duckweeds
Is the sediment of a colourful dream.

To seek a dream? Just to punt a boat upstream
To where the green grass is more verdant;
Or to have the boat fully loaded with starlight
And sing aloud on a river silver and diamond.

But I cannot sing aloud,
Silence is my farewell music.
Even summer insects keep mute for me;
Cambridge is soundless tonight!



Very quietly I take my leave
As quietly as I came here;
Gently I flick my sleeves.
Not even a wisp of cloud will I bring away.

No comments:

Post a Comment